I have been doing work on this recipe on and off for many years, likely as a result of dozens of iterations to get the best shortbread texture using combos of grain-totally free flours and starches for the base layer of these custard bars (the custard was basically considerably simpler and I nailed it in the 3rd iteration). And, as I get prepared to launch my new web page, Nutrivore.com in the coming weeks, I experienced all but offered up ever becoming delighted adequate with this recipe to share it… until eventually I tried out it one previous time working with Beth Blends Grain-Cost-free Flour Blend. Wow!
Around the very last 12 months or so and right after Beth sent me some baggage of her flour blends to try out, Beth Blends Grain-Free of charge Flour Mix has develop into my go-to flour to use for day-to-day cooking. But, it was only lately that I experienced the prospect to test it in this recipe. In my prior iteration of the shortbread base, I experienced made use of 6 (certainly, Six) unique grain-free of charge flours and starches to attempt and get the best texture for the shortbread bottom layer (not much too crunchy, not much too crumbly, but robust ample to assistance the custard layer, two variations had been basically squeaky when you little bit into it, which was super strange). And, I’m so happy I did, since I now come to feel self-confident sharing this recipe with you, just on time for the holidays!
200+ Healthy and Mouth watering Recipes
20 Food Strategies for a assortment of objectives
I Really like this guide. The science is magnificent. I’ve realized a ton without sensation overwhelmed. The paleo principles just requires my knowledge to the upcoming stage!!!
Variants: Due to the fact I’ve iterated this recipe so many instances, I sense like I have attempted it all! My most loved is the combination of lime and lemon in this custard, but I’ve tried utilizing just lemon, just lime, Meyer’s lemons (on their possess or with lime) and orange (on its have or with lemon). They’re all delicious, so experience cost-free to experiment with other citrus fruits in this recipe. I’ve also utilised different sugars to sweeten. My desire is unrefined cane sugar for the reason that I really feel like it doesn’t compete with the citrus flavors, but it’s also delicious with maple sugar if you want to use a additional nutrient-dense sugar. You can make this in an 8″x8″ pan for a thicker bar (like in my photo), or a 9″x9″ pan for a thinner bar. It cooks a little bit more rapidly if you make it in a 9″x9″ pan. And, if you want to make the shortbread foundation with a unique grain-free flour mix, all I can say is, nothing at all I attempted labored as perfectly as Beth Blends.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook dinner time: 20 to 25 minutes
Generate: 16 2-inch squares
- 1 1/2 cups Beth Blends Grain-Totally free Flour Mix
- 1/2 cup ghee (or substitute butter or palm shortening)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (you can mix maple or cane sugar in a blender for 30 seconds to make this, or use retailer-acquired)
- 3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/3 cup lime juice (about 3 limes value)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons value)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest (about 1 lemons value)
- 1/2 cup sour product (I use a coconut-centered dairy-free of charge bitter product, you could also substitute entire milk yogurt or coconut product, but the higher the unwanted fat written content of this component, the creamier the custard)
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup unrefined cane sugar (like sucanat, or sugar in the uncooked)
- Preheat oven to 350F. You do not will need to line your pan with parchment, but it does make it a tiny less complicated to clear away on the other aspect, so up to you, I ordinarily skip lining my pan.
- In a bowl, kneed collectively Beth Blends Grain-Cost-free Flour Blends, ghee, powdered sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. This is least complicated with your hands as it tends to make a pretty stiff dough (comparable to pie crust dough in consistency).
- Press dough into the bottom of an 8″x8″ baking pan to sort an even layer. Poke holes all more than the prime with the tines of a fork.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until just starting off to flip slightly golden. In the meantime, prepare your custard.
- Insert remaining components to a blender jar and pulse just to blend. Alternatively, you can whisk them jointly by hand.
- Clear away pan from the oven and pour the contents of your blender more than the best. (You can do this even though the shortbread layer is even now sizzling, or if you’re not fairly all set when the shortbread is, it’s thoroughly okay if it cools down a minimal. You are going to get a little bit much more unique layers if the shortbread is even now very hot, but it functions both way).
- Return to the oven and bake an additional 20 to 25 minutes, until custard is set. (If you shake your pan slightly, the middle should not wobble.)
- Neat fully prior to eradicating from pan. These are good chilled or at area temperature.
- Sprinkle the top rated with extra powdered sugar, if desired. Reduce into squares and serve.
- Store any leftovers in an air-limited container on the counter for up to 3 days, or in the fridge for up to a 7 days. I feel these are even much better on the 2nd day!